What are Massachusetts compliant handguns?
Believe it or not, for handguns, this is not an easy question to answer.
There are many different regulations, guidelines and rules which all lend to various opinions and interpretations. Massachusetts compliance regulations are sometimes tricky to understand and are absolutely frustrating. So, what does it mean when a handgun is MA Compliant? We do not dispense legal advice, below we have listed some links to helpful resources.
Massachusetts has passed some of the strictest handgun laws in the nation, which restricts the sale and purchase of some of the top manufacturers in the world!
So, how do you know if your handgun is legal to purchase? First, do some of your own research to become an informed buyer. Ignorance will not keep you from legal action, if someone wanted to pursue it. Next, check the links below. These provide guidance on what you can and cannot own (please keep in mind that the “Approved Weapons Roster” does not guarantee that is it Massachusetts compliant.)
There is a second, the Attorney General statement, that mandates additional regulations. Some have challenged this, stating that "it is not a law". This is up to you to decide, “To purchase or not to purchase, that is the question?"
Ok, now how do you know if you are legal?
- First, purchase your guns from a reputable dealer and ask for their advice. When you go to their stores, you will see guns that are and are not MA Compliant. The ones that are "MA Complaint" were more than likely in the state prior to the handgun law changes and are therefore grandfathered in (older Glocks, Colts, etc.), also referred to as "Pre-Ban". Ask questions, they are there to help guide you through the process. If a dealer sells you something that is not MA Complaint, they can be fined and possible confiscation, however this is rare.
- Contact the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS), these individuals can help interpret the laws and give guidance. http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/
- Take care when purchasing guns online, make sure you know what you are buying. Again, a good rule of advice for Massachusetts residence, buy from a Massachusetts Dealer, since they are probably more knowledgeable on MA gun laws than out of state dealers. If you are buying online, contact your dealer first, explain what you are trying to do and most of all make sure there is a return policy.
- Go to the Manufacturers websites, they sometimes state if their gun is compliant, such as Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Ruger and probably many many more.
Additional Resource Links
- Massachusetts General Laws - https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121
- Massachusetts Approved Roster - http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/approved-rosters/
- Massachusetts Gun Laws - http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/gun-laws/
- Massachusetts Approved Locking Devices - http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/firearm-safety-locking-devices.html
- Massachusetts Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) - http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/
- Sig Sauer - http://sigsauer.com/
- Smith & Wesson - http://www.smith-wesson.com/
- Ruger - http://ruger.com/
Looking for more answers to legal questions?
Once a Month we host our Attorney, as he explains the most common MA Gun Laws, and answers your questions.
For more information, please visit our MA Legal Review page